Tuesday, August 16, 2005

...alternate reality...

I'll admit that with the advent of CD's, long lost catalogs have been unearthed and cleaned up for the enjoyment of us music lovers. Specifically, the multiple takes and versions that Jazz musicians often recorded live during an album session, have now been given deluxe reissues to help waste the disposable income of their target audience. Today's post is from just such one, the landmark album 'Giant Steps'. (Recorded immediately after working on Davis' Kind Of Blue in 1959.) The CD Deluxe Edition features quite a bit of extra material, including the second alternate takes (third overall) of two classic Coltrane compositions.
Also, on another topic completely, I've got another mix packed together, and this one is totally live. I'll post it online eventually, but if anybody wants a full-color 'deluxe edition' (CD-R with nice packaging and labels), e-mail me and I'll figure out a way to get it to you at minimal cost. Speaking of which, I'll be taking a few older mixes down soon as well, and putting together artwork for a couple others. Hopefully I'll be able to offer a 'deluxe edition' of everything eventually.
With something completely different again, I've neared completion of a new 29ยข Soul album. It'll be filled with all sorts of odds and ends, and even a few fully-formed songs. I'm shooting for the gig on Friday, Sept. 9th at the Gaslight to start passing them out. Check the myspace site for regular updates as I tweak my knobs and test out ideas.

John Coltrane
Giant Steps (Alt. Take #2)
Giant Steps (Deluxe Edition)
Atlantic


John Coltrane
Naima (Alt. Take #2)
Giant Steps (Deluxe Edition)
Atlantic

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just discovered your site and this moldy fig found it wonderful. Keep up the good work.

8/16/2005 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read it! But Chester wanted me to let you know that he listens also.

8/16/2005 6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home